Monday, March 28, 2011

Arigato Mr. Roboto

Deuce loves Robots...and Dinosaurs....and Trucks....and Forklifts....and Dancing....and Singing....and Justin Bieber (more on that later). And, like most 3 year olds his interests shift....almost daily.  But when I asked him what kind of birthday party he wanted when he turned 3 in January - he was VERY clear - ROBOTS!  But no purple-eyed Robots.  I was pretty sure I could handle that.

I was going to start with some Robot Cookies, because sugar cookies are my thing.  But I went with mini-cupcakes instead because I thought they could double for his preschool snack that day. 


Vanilla Cupcakes, grey and white tinted whipped buttercream frosting with red accents.  * hint: when short on time, I use pre-packaged frosting.  For tinting, I simply separate a few tablespoons of frosting into a bowl, add a few drops of desired gel (I use Wilton) and mix well.  Then pop into a ziploc bag and snip off the end, or use a pastry bag and desired tip. 


 Robot cupcakes, no purple eyes....CHECK!



Favors for 3 year olds are not rocket-science...a quick trip to the dollar store can usually suffice. But I was feeling very Martha Stewarty, and decided to try a do-it-yourself robot.  I started with some black card stock, and then used a paint-marker to free-style a silvery Robot outline (I googled robots for inspiration).  Then I used a combination of pre-cut foam shapes (Michaels), and custom cuts for those shapes and/or colors they didnt have.




Then I cut out some Round Tags using the Black card stock, used a hole punch on both card stock pieces and then tied some black ribbon to attach them together.  The pieces were then placed in a clear celophane bag (Michaels clear treat bags), and the kids could then take the "bots" home and assemble them on a rainy day. 


The foam cut-out pieces were a great find, because they already came with adhesive backings so no messy glue for moms to deal with.  The best part of the whole project was the Deuce got to help, he had a ball sorting out the different colors and putting together like-shapes. 


Cool Robot Favors, no purple eyes....Check!  Er....wait.  If you look closely, you will notice that one robot actually does have purple eyes.  After consulting with Deuce, we decided he could stay because the eyes were shaped like hearts, thus making them acceptable.


The venue we chose was a local bowling alley.  We had never taken Deuce bowling before, but it worked out GREAT.  The provided all of the food and drinks, we had a great corner lane to confine little wanderers, and they even provided a bowling pin for all of his friends to sign at the end.  Deuces cool Robot Shirt from Target.


Super Fun 3rd Birthday Party - Robot Style...Check! 

No comments:

Post a Comment